- Life & Medical Sciences
Ainhoa Cano (firstname.lastname@example.org); +34 943 005 339
Contact with Platform Manager, by email email@example.com or check the services here.
The Animal Facility Unit supports CIC biomaGUNE´s researchers in the area of animal experimentation.
The main functions of the Animal facility Unit are:
• Ensuring compliance of all legal and ethical requirements on the use of animals for research and other scientific purposes.
• Providing care and monitoring the health and welfare of the laboratory animals, having a thorough knowledge of the husbandry and welfare requirements of the species kept, and via prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases.
• Provide the researchers with the advice and equipment necessary to carry out their research on laboratory animals.
The Animal Facility at the CIC biomaGUNE was established to support the in vivo research by the Molecular Imaging Unit by using different techniques (PET, SPECT, CT, OI and MRI). The Animal Facility is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and a team in continuous training for the developing of projects in accordance with the most stringent ethical and legal standards regarding the use of animals in research; all work carried out by the Animal Facility complies with both national and European legislation: Spanish Royal Decree RD 53/2013 and EU Directive 2010/63/EU, respectively for the protection of animals used for research experimentation and other scientific purposes.
At the present time, the Animal Facility has the capacity to house 192 type 1284L cages (each with an average capacity for 3-5 mice) and 108 type 1291H cages (each with an average capacity for 2-3 rats). The 1291H cage can accommodate either rats or mice in accordance with what is required at a given time. The Animal Facility, covering around 250 m2, is located between two different zones within the UIM, Radiochemistry (PET-CT, SPECT-CT and OI) and MRI, which are connected to each other by a corridor.
The Animal Facility has different zones:
• Barrier zone, with two animal rooms
• Conventional zone, with three animal rooms
• A transit room, in the Radiochemistry zone, equipped with capacity to house 9 type 1291H cages. Here the animals are housed while the radioactivity decays
• Experimental area, with three animal preparation rooms for in vivo imaging and microsurgery and a behaviour room equipped with a circular swimming pool and an open- field box, with a video-tracking for both experiments.
• Cleaning and sterilization area
All our animals are housed in a modern auto ventilated cage system, and all animal rooms are equipped with a laminar flow changing station. Bedding, water, and cages are sterilized by autoclaving, and the feed is irradiated. The Animal Facility offers the possibility of running a broad number of experimental procedures on the premises in relation to the molecular imaging. At the same time the Animal house is a technical-scientific facility serving the groups of the Centres that use animals in their lines of research.
CIC biomaGUNE Parque tecnológico de Gipuzkoa Ed. Pº Miramón 182, 20014, San Sebastián