- Engineering & Technology
- Available for external users under established conditions (confidentiality agreement signed, on purpose training, payment of use fees). - Only personal that has received training passed an exam on the equipment usage and has signed confidentiality agreement.
The main goals of the High Performance Cutting research group are to improve machining processes employed in different industrial sectors (transport, aeronautics, health, machine-tool, moulds and dyes…) and to generate new ideas to manufacture innovative products that will enable entry into new markets or even lead to the launch of new companies.
- Fundamentals of cutting Gaining understanding of cutting process through advanced experimental techniques ( High Speed Filming, Infrarred Termography) and modelling. The combination of experimental tests together with analytical and numerical modelling (Finite Element Modelling-FEM) allows better understanding of the material removal process, facilitating the selection of cutting conditions, tool geometries or even the development of new cutting tool and workpiece materials.
- Machinability: Analysis of machinability of several materials such as steels, titanium alloys, and nickel based alloys… Understanding of the main reasons that generate the different behavior of materials during cutting, as we believe this is the way to improve machinability in new materials.
- Grinding: Understanding of grinding process trough experimental techniques and modeling. Wheel performance, together with surface integrity and process monitoring are at the core of the research.
- Five axis milling: Machining of complex surfaces assuring process stability and productivity by the use of models and empirical knowledge (cutting tools, selection of working conditions) embedded in CAD/CAM software.
- Inteligente Machining Monitoring and adaptive control are the basis in future machining production plants for assuring productivity together with component quality. External and internal signals are applied to know tool condition at every time, and thus the component quality.
- Micromachining: Development of knowledge on cutting tools and working conditions to optimize component prototypes for sectors such as TICs, electronics or biomedicines. • Biomachining: Gaining knowledge of bone machining in order to reduce or avoid material damage during surgeries for implants.
- CAD/CAM/CNC Implementing the knowledge acquired in empirical test and models in CAD/CAM software lead to more reliable virtual machining scenario. Moreover the application of best practices applications can help increasing the machining productivity and the reduction of costs.
- Distortions: The prediction of distortions in machined components due to bulk and surface residual stresses is the key factor to increase component dimensional quality. Modelling and experimental techniques (residual stress measurements and CMM measurements) are applied to understand the process of distortions generation.
- Surface Integrity and fatigue: Analysis of the influence of machining parameters: working conditions, cutting tools, coolant on surface integrity (roughness, residual stresses, material damage ) and the link to fatigue life of components.
- Machinability tests: ISO 3685, Couple Outil Matière.
- Benchmarking of cutting tools behaviour
- Process window definition: cutting parameters, cutting tools
- Surface Integrity Analysis : material damage, residual stress measurements (hole drilling), surface roughness
- Fatigue testing
- Mechanical, thermal and microstructural characterization of materials.
- Temperature measurements
- High Speed Filming
Mondragon Goi Eskola Politeknikoa, S.Coop. Loramendi, 4 20500 Arrasate - Mondragon
Equipment in this infrastructure
- VERTICAL CNC MACHINING CENTER LAGUN
- VERTICAL CNC MACHINING CENTER KONDIA
- MILLING MICROMACHINE KERN EVO
- VERTICAL CNC LATHE TV700 DANOBAT
- HORIZONTAL CNC LATHE DANUMERIC
- HORIZONTAL CNC LATHE DANOBAT
- HORIZONTAL RECTIFIER CNC GER
- VERTICAL BROACHING MACHINE
EKIN RAS EQUIPMENT:
- KISTLER DINAMOMETERS (9257B, 9121, 9272, 9123, 9256C1)
- ACOUSTIC EMISSION SENSOR, ACCELEROMETERS,…
- ACQUSITION SYSTEM: DAQ NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS
- HIGH SPEED FILMING DEVICE PHOTRON
- INFRARED CARMERAA TITANIUM 550M
- RUGOSIMETERS SOFTWARE:
- CAD/CAM: UNIGRAPHICS, SOLIDWORKS
- FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS: NX, ABAQUS, ADVANTEDGE, DEFORM
- SCANNING ELECTRONIC MICROSCOPE
- OPTICAL MICROSCOPES
- MECHANICAL TESTING: MTS 810 (with furnace for high temperatures tests), INSTRON (10 kN,20 kN)
- HARDNESS MEASUREMENT
- CONFOCAL PERFILOMETER: IFG4, SENSOFAR…
- COORDINATE MEASURING MACHINE