- To generate scientific knowledge that is directly relevant to controlling chronic diseases, which are the main causes of loss of health and the use of Health Services in Spain; also to generate scientific knowledge about these communicable diseases that can act as a base on which to support the actions carried out by the Health Authorities.
- To promote cooperative research among different groups, encouraging collaboration between researchers and boosting the internationalisation of their activities, and to develop strategies to improve the researchers’ scientific capacities.
- To assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the interventions carried out with a Public Health services perspective.
- To foster the transfer of knowledge to the Health Service to help design and implement health policies.
Epidemiology and surveillance of communicable diseases:
- Survey of seroprevalence in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country.
- Study of the effectiveness of the flu vaccine (cycEVA).
- Tuberculosis and social inequality in Gipuzkoa in the period 2003-2009.
- Study of the high incidence of cases of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country.
Epidemiology and control of chronic diseases:
- Strategy integrated into the municipal health area to promote physical exercise in fragile elderly people. Tipi-tapa.
- Study of the distribution of COPD and asthma in Gipuzkoa.
- Escape (European Study of Cohorts for Air Pollution Effects).
- Assessment of the equity, variability and results between centres and Autonomous Communities in Spain.
- Preparation of cancer profiles in different regions.
- Socio-economic inequalities in the risk of cancer.
- Assessment of the health and cost benefits at a population level of the early breast cancer detection programme in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country.
- MCC-SPAIN Population multi-case control study, including tumours with a high incidence in Spain.
- Contaminants and cancer: biomarkers of exposure, genetic susceptibility and early damage markers.
- Epidemiology of cardiovascular diseases. Linked with the EPIC-Heart and EPIC-CVD projects. Study of the association between alcohol consumption, meat/protein consumption, fish/omega-3 consumption and stroke in the Spanish cohort of the EPIC study.
- Surveillance of accidents in people over the age of 64 and resident in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country through a lookout network.
- Ageing and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Social networks for elderly people: identification, characterisation and analysis of their relationship with lifestyle habits related to health.
- Alcohol consumption and genetic susceptibility: Case-control study.
- Development of EPic-soft: diet assessment methodology.
Main lines of research
- Epidemiology and surveillance of infectious and communicable diseases:
- Vaccine-preventable diseases caused by viruses (measles, rubella and mumps) or bacteria (whooping cough, pneumococcal disease or meningococcal disease).
- Epidemic outbreaks
- Epidemiology and Control of Chronic Diseases:
- Environmental and genetic determining factors of cancer, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
- Other chronic disorders of high social impact.
- Eating habits and their effect on health.
- Epidemiology and prevention of accidental injuries.
- Assessment of quality of care and quality of life.
- Inequalities in health according to social class, gender, geographical location and environment.
- Epidemiology of neurodegenerative diseases. Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease and other cognitive disorders.
- Genetic-environmental interaction in chronic diseases.
- Nutritional epidemiology:
- Diet and chronic diseases: cancer, cardiovascular or diabetes.
- Research in methodology to assess diet: new instruments.
- Assessment of diet in epidemiological case-control studies and cohorts.
Life & Medical Sciences
- Biosciences & Health
- Epidemiology and surveillance of infectious and communicable disease
- Epidemiology and Control of Chronic Diseases
- Nutritional epidemiology