Faculty of Science and Technology, UPV / EHU.
F3P0 building. General Research Services (SGIker).
Address: B º Sarriena, s / n - 48940 Leioa.
Dr María Belén Sánchez
Phone:946 01 8332
The XPS Service can be used by researchers from university institutes, technology centers, companies, etc. You can perform routine experiments, specials, analyzing results and in any case, the service staff can advise on suitable experiments and conditions for each problem. Job applications will be directed to the staff of the Service by completing the attached form.
For more information about legislation, radiation protection, licensing, ... visit the website of the Nuclear Safety Council (http://www.csn.es)
To access the XPS unit you must meet the requirements of the Protocol SGIker access and of use of available services.
The General Service X-Ray of the University of the Basque Country / EHU aims to support basic and applied research, among others, to the different areas of expertise of Geological Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Aeronautics, Pharmacy, Biochemistry, Archaeology, Paleontology, Anthropology, Environmental Science. Besides helping to serve in the fields of Construction, Mining Survey, Civil Engineering, etc. Also, it is accessible to researchers from the Basque Science and Technology network, other researchers outside the UPV / EHU, other public and private institutions throughout the national and international level.
X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy Unit (XPS), within the X-Ray General Services of the University of the Basque Country / EHU, includes surface analysis both solid samples and powder samples.
XPS is a nondestructive technique that provides information on the elements present on the surface and on its oxidation state and / or environmental situations (coordination). It can also carry out studies of distribution of elements depending on the depth of the sample, in destructive ways (depth profile, reaching deeper) or non destructive (angular resolution XPS).
The XPS technique allows the study of different types of materials such as metals, alloys, ceramics, polymers, glasses, semiconductors, geological samples, dried biological samples, and generally any surface which supports high vacuum systems, in application areas so diverse as adhesion studies, catalysis, corrosion, treatment of surface materials, electronics, metallurgy, surface segregation, analysis layer deposition, etc.
Service of X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy has the necessary equipment for the characterization of solid surfaces and dust. In the case of powder samples, pressing theses in the cases where it is possible to improve its usability.
You can choose different types of analysis:
- Record the overall spectrum and qualitative analysis of the surface composition.
- Detailed log of the components of the surface and semiquantitative analysis of its composition.
- Detailed log of the components of the surface, quantification and analysis of the oxidation states of these elements.
- Analysis of composition in function of depth by bombardment with Ar + ions. Qualitative analysis semiquantitative or quantitative analysis and oxidation states of elements in the different layers analyzed.
- Analysis of the surface composition as a function of angle of incidence of X-rays, which allows to know the composition of the outermost layers. Qualitative analysis semiquantitative or quantitative and analysis of oxidation states of elements of different measures depending on the angle of incidence.
- Energy-analyzer Phoibos 1D-DLD 150, allowing analysis of samples from low area (micron order) to high area (mm).
- Focus monochromatic radiation source 500 with dual anode Al / Ag, which allows working with powers of 400 W for the Al and 600 W for Ag, to improve the sensitivity and analysis time.
- Manipulator sample-precision MCU-8, which allows linear movement in directions x, y, z, and polar azimuthal rotation with angular resolution analysis. System includes heating to 800 ° C and cooling.